What is a soundscape? Dictionary.com describes the term as:
"An atmosphere or environment created by or with sound: the raucous soundscape of a city street; a play with a haunting soundscape."
Here’s a selection of sites to highlight the diversity of soundscapes available.
- Soundscapes is a community for lovers of those sounds that are found all around us, both in nature, in cities, and in the digital realm.
- Catch Da Flava Soundscapes are the use of vocal and electronically generated sounds to express a feeling, make an impression, or tell a story. Audio works are produced for a public broadcast and distributed on CD’s.
- Quiet American field recordings made in Vietnam.
- Phonography.org has recordings of real environments you can listen to. There’s also a good links page and equipment list for people interested in making their own recordings.
- Sleepbot Environmental Broadcast A streaming mix of downtempo chillout ethnic classical vocal sound effects type of thingy.
- soundscape FM "Real world" environmental recordings for listening in streaming audio format.
If you want to have a go at creating your own soundscapes try these tools:
- Insomnia Ambience a simple online ambient music generator that lets you choose from a mixture of loops to create a soundscape.
- Atmosphere Lite is freeware that uses layers of natural sound elements to create endless random scenes. You can quickly configure and customize a scene from banks of presets and even combine your own sounds to produce instant atmospheres. Imaginary soundscapes can be applied to environments where such sound does not exist.