ClimatePrediction.net is gathering data in an effort to produce a forecast of the climate in the 21st century. This is a huge experiment that needs shared computer processing time to process the data.
It works by downloading a climate model that creates a unique world you can watch on your computer while information is sent back to the project for assimilation.
If you’re interested you can take a look at the about page which I recommend for a quick outline of the essentials.
From the ClimatePrediction.net website:
- Why? Climate change, and our response to it, is issues of global importance, affecting food production, water resources, ecosystems, energy demand, insurance costs and much else. There is a broad scientific consensus that the Earth will probably warm over the coming century; climateprediction.net should, for the first time, tell us what is most likely to happen.
[Read more about climate science]
[Visit Climate News Centre]
Discussing significant developments in climate change research: things we should know
- BBC: Why the Sun seems to be ‘dimming’
- Slashdot| BBC on Global Dimming
- Goodbye sunsine: A Guardian article
- Metafilter thread on Global Dimming
Similar Global Initiatives and Collective Conscious Networking:
- SETI@home: Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence at Home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.