PodRazor is a search engine designed for finding podcasts. It uses a simple interface with results showing links to Site :: Stream :: Download :: RSS.
As a Podcast tool it’s useful for finding audio files and discovering new sites. Being able to stream audio makes it possible to preview the files prior to downloading, saving precious bandwidth.
Directories are a useful way of finding podcasts because they use categories and other features like ratings systems to enhance the discovery process. However not all podcasters choose to list their shows in directories as this can be time consuming and ratings systems may also be misleading. New podcast directories come online frequently so a search on your favourite search engine generally tends to find the ones that got an early start towards the top of the list.
Podcasts are distributed via RSS feeds and most podcasters use blogs to post and host their shows. A good way of finding these shows is to use a blog and RSS search engine. Blogdigger and Feedster are two search engines that do this. There are others and I recommend using a search tool like TurboScout.com that lets you search multiple engines, including blogs, all within the same page. This way you can quickly compare results from several main RSS search services without having to remember all the site addresses.
Terms you search for should include keywords like podcasting, podcasts or podcast combined with other keywords like feed/s, blog/s etc. Bear in mind the growing trend towards ‘tagging’ which means bloggers attach keywords and categories to their weblog posts. This is done specifically to make retrieval of information easier. The search engine Technorati lets you search for tags by using the tag: prefix while Blogdigger uses subject:
Try these examples:
- Blogdigger media search for subject:podcasting you can further filter the Blogdigger search by media type at the site.
- Boogieplay lets you search audio/video files and stream results.
- GigaDial a podcast factory and major source of podcasting diversity.
- Podcast Digger lets you search a selection of Creative Commons and legal music podcasts.
- Podcast Jukebox is a streaming podcast player with a developing playlist of podcast stations. The site features an RSS search engine and directory.
- Podcasting and RSS recommended resources list.