SAVIHost is a freeware host for virtual instruments that lets you load and run a single VSTi as a standalone application. When unzipped the small file size of less than 300kb means it can easily fit on a floppy for portability.
To run a VSTi simply copy the instrument’s dll file to the same folder as SAVIHost.exe and then change the name of SAVIHost to the instruments name e.g. if there is synth1.dll rename SAVIHost.exe to synth1.exe and this will run the VSTi.
There’s a configurable onscreen keyboard with modulation wheels for playing the instrument and you can also use the PC keyboard for playing MIDI notes. See the separate documentation download for a detailed overview and the forum.
- Run any VST instrument as a simple standalone application.
- Quickly create an executable file for a VST plugin.
- Can be run on low memory systems eliminating bulky or unnecessary host programs.
- Quickly try and test VSTi applications.
- Easily portable via distributed media and Internet.
- Live music performances.
Standalone applications are useful for ‘live’ performances and SAVIHost with its low memory overheads can be used to create dedicated performance instruments that can easily be copied, transported and launched. This is particularly interesting to experimental/electronic sound makers and creators of ambient soundscapes. Combined with other portable freeware music applications like the monoRAVEik MR1200 and SilentNight it’s possible to create powerful yet relatively simple sound environments without the burden of steep learning curves. Oh, did I forget to mention it’s also fun?
send MIDI data to VST plugins from external MIDI inputs, a resizable virtual MIDI keyboard, the computer keyboard or MIDI files.
process ASIO inputs or a WAV file.
record audio output to WAV (16 and 32 bit).
browse through the presets.
included preset manager, allows easy organisation of all presets
included preset randomizer with script support and mutate option
drag n’ drop support
support for VST MIDI plugins that generate MIDI data
Tempo : 30 to 303.
Number of measures : 1 to 8.
Number of steps by measure : 2 to 32.T
Change note position, length and velocity.
Export sequence as a Midi file.
- Jeskola Buzz
- Kreatives.org Kristal Audio Engine
- SpinAudio ASIO FX Processor LE
- Hermann Seib SAVIHost
- Hermann Seib VSTHost
- Skale Tracker
Virtual audio instruments and resources: here are some freeware VST plugin resources.
- ASIO4ALL a hardware-independent low latency ASIO driver for WDM audio devices. (Windows).
- Audio Plugins & Patches a meta-list of links to some of the best freeware audio resources.
- KVR Forum Hosts has lots of user FAQs and information.
- KVR: Freeware 2004 VSTi/VST roundup lists lots of money saving VST resources.
- The Ultimate List of Free VST Plugins around 700 categorized audio FX plugins.
- The STS-11 – The Transition Synthesizer for Pads, Textures, Soundscapes & Atmospherics. Listed here because it’s a good example of a plug-in that can be used in a real-time situation like a live performance.