Ourmedia.org provides free web hosting and online tools for all your media files forever. Created by volunteers, Ourmedia is an open-source project positioning itself as The Global Home for Grassroots media. It is partnered with the Internet Archive which provides hosting and bandwidth for the files, Creative Commons and Wikipedia. Drupal has agreed to host the site for free through its Bryght hosted service.
To use the service you must be willing to share your works with a global audience. Most types of media files and content are welcome, including but not limited to; audio, ebooks, films, games, original music, photographs, screencasts, software and video.
The Grassroots Media Community
The ourmedia hosting service fully integrates community features like blogging and forums. The community also functions to facilitate learning about a range of communication techniques and the craft of digital creativity.
Free membership lets you:
- Publish your works for a global audience to see or hear
- Get a free weblog
- Post comments to any media page or blog on the site
- Participate in the Forums
- Learn more about how to create personal media
- Socialize with other creative individuals
The site design is well thought out and easy to navigate. For example selecting ‘browse media’ takes you to the site map. This is a simple list of topics with the RSS links alongside so you can get straight to the feed without having to click deeper. Here’s the main RSS feed from the home page.
Update June 9th 2006 – Learning Center and Open Media Directory
Ourmedia has announced the unveiling of the Personal Media Learning Center as well as the Open Media Directory. In a significant step forward for Ourmedia, these projects will "help people engage in the participatory media movement" by providing multimedia tutorials and a "clearing house for legal, podsafe music, audio and video clips". These are resources for the people by the people and the Learning Center is open to anyone wishing to contribute knowledge for the benefit of the wider community.
Other Online Media Tools
These online tools are useful if you need to redirect your hosted media files to another website.
- GigaDial is a community for managing and sharing podcast feeds.
- mefeedia is an aggregator for videobloggers to share their works.
- Media Toolbox is a list of handy online tools for working with creative media tasks.
- Webjay Wizard creates the correct code for embedding streaming media players in a website.
- BBC’s One Minute Movies hosts your 1 minute movie for others to see.
- BBC Creative Archive plans to allow people to download clips of BBC factual programmes from bbc.co.uk for non-commercial use, keep them on their PCs, manipulate and share them, so making the BBC’s archives more accessible to licence fee payers…the initiative also has broader public service ambitions to pioneer a new approach to public access rights in the digital age
- Common Content is an open catalog of Creative Commons licensed content.
- Connexions is an environment for collaboratively developing, freely sharing, and rapidly publishing scholarly content on the Web. Our Content Commons contains educational materials for everyone — from children to college students to professionals — organized in small modules that are easily connected into larger courses. All content is free to use and reuse under the Creative Commons "attribution" license.
- Free and affordable video hosting links compiled by Internet Video Magazine.
- Independent Media Center Indymedia is a collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage. Indymedia is a democratic media outlet for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of truth.
- Union for the Public Domain (UPD) is a non-profit citizens group. Our mission is to protect and enhance the public domain in matters concerning intellectual property. We are a membership organization, acting as an independent voice on intellectual property issues.
- A History of Communications 35,000 BC – 1998 AD shows a timeline for several important communications categories.
- Media Search Engines is a selection of useful tools for finding different types of media files.
See also Podcast Hosting Services for a selection of podcasting resources early to market.